We are now entering year two of the Mark Fox Era at Georgia and the Bandwagon is filling up quickly. This past week I attended the now annual Meet the Team event and it had almost triple the number of persons and season ticket orders are up 30%.
ESPN and the like are getting on the bandwagon. Georgia is now getting listed by the media as missing on players. Hell, two years ago we weren't even on the list. So everyone, sit back, enjoy, but also keep things in perspective.
We are in year two of the building of Georgia Basketball. Yes we have had teams in the past. Some that were pretty good, but we have had far more that were just bad. Either at the coaching level or the talent level. To show you how far the excitement in Georgia Basketball has come, we had more people at an exhibition game than we had at some of the early games last year and a lot more than we had during some of the Felton Years.
So what did I hear and see at the Meet the Team and Exhibition Game
- Jeremy Price is looking fit having lost a good deal of weight or at least turning it into muscle. So look for big minutes and production here. Oh I wish he would have been under Coach Fox for four years. He could have been a great player.
- Trey Thompkins, is well Trey. He was out with a bum ankle and we are not sure when he will return, but when he does, expect lower minutes until SEC play.
- We actually have a bench this year. With Connor Nolte, Gerald Robinson, Marcus and the crew, we may be able to have a second team come in and play and score.
- In the exhibition game, we turned the ball over way too much and didn't have enough assists or rebounds to make me happy. Hoping this improves with some actual game play.
- Defense is a big factor this year and Coach Fox has made it a priority. The problem he says is the number of fouls coming out of the Man Defense. So don't be surprised by some early man followed by zone when the foul count goes up.
- The Stegeman renovations are looking great. This place will be fabulous when completed. Arthur Johnson says by the 18th of November all the graphics will be in place.
I expect some nice things from the hoop dawgs this year, but I ask each of you to keep a level head. Yes we have two players that could go pro. But remember, before Fox, I don't think either would have gone pro unless it was in the D-League. We are still learning as a team. So yes, I think we will make the NCAA tourney this year. I would even go as far as sayign we might win the first game.
Do I think we are a Sweet Sixteen team, doubtful. But not ruling this out. But I do think we are a First round win team. Now if we made a run and made the Sweet Sixteen, would I be shocked, no. But remember, this team didn't win a road game last year, and then only one a game on a neutral court. As the saying goes, it can take some time to turn a ship around. And I think we are about half way there.
So come out if you can and support the hoop dawgs. I know I'll be there for each home game.
You can find some of my Meet the team pics here on flickr.